National Head Coach
Singapore Squash Rackets Association (SSRA) is the National Sports Association (NSA) for the sport of Squash in Singapore.
We are governed by Sport Singapore (SportSG) and is a member of the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC), South East Asian Squash Federation (SEASF), Asian Squash Federation (ASF) and World Squash Federation (WSF).
SSRA was formed in 1970 and we are an Institute of Public Character (IPC) charity organisation. SSRA aims to promote, support and advance the sport of Squash in Singapore through our core values of Integrity, Teamwork and Diversity.
An exciting opportunity exists for a talented and able individual to lead the High Performance team. The Head Coach will assume a leadership role to maximise the potential of the National Training Squad and Elite teams. The individual will be accountable for the implementation of robust systems and processes from talent ID through to international tournaments and Major Games, in line with the Singapore Squash Rackets Association (SSRA)’s Multi-Year Sports Plan (MYSP).
The administrative function will provide support to the Singapore Squash National Team, Events and Marketing teams, and General Manager, when required.
High Performance Athletes Development
• Responsible for the overall management of the National Training Squad, the athletes and the National Coaches.
• Prepare concise pathway development plans and the execution of it for targeted individuals and teams to serve the purpose of the MYSP.
• Identify and nurture targeted individuals with the aim for the spexScholarship programme.
• Provide input and assistance in development pathways for athletes identified for the PSA professional circuit.
• Prepare and execute annual High Performance budgets in a timely manner for submission of Annual Grant exercises.
• Overall accountability for the annual periodisation of training plans for Seniors and Juniors, incorporating both local and international tournaments.
• Support and provide expertise in all SSRA programmes and initiatives in delivery of all pillars of the MYSP
– Governance, Business Capabilities, Pathway Development and High Performance, as and when deemed necessary and appropriate.
• Plan, develop and implement the SSRA pathway programme.
• Build the network and engage with local academies, clubs, schools and coaches to implement best practices, and create the system for high-potential players to join the national training squad.
• Develop and deliver a grassroots recruitment programme to feed players into academies, clubs and schools.
• Work alongside Secretariat to develop and implement programmes at community level to increase the sport’s reach.
High Performance Coaches Development and Management
• Provide leadership, support and guidance to the National Coaches and High Performance Manager in matters surrounding the development of the High Performance athletes.
• Training and supervising National Coaches on their daily execution of training session plans.
• Manage and assign responsibilities and tasks as required.
• Manage, mentor and develop the National Coaches with a view for succession planning.
• Accountable for the preparation of annual KPIs and bi-annual performance reviews of National Coaches.
• Champion the MYSP and SSRA objectives to all stakeholders.
• Maintain and update meticulous reports on the training, competitions, individuals and teams, and present bi-monthly or quarterly at the Board of Directors meetings.
• Prepare annual plans ahead of time and share with athletes and parents.
• Work with General Manager and the Board of Directors for all administration, management and budgetary matters.
• Ensure all coaches and athletes maintain discipline and adhere to the code of conduct.
• Participate in CCE (Continuing Coach Education) conferences, workshops, or meetings to enhance professional skills and knowledge.
• Leverage on and support all SportSG, CoachSG, National Youth Sports Institute (NYSI),Singapore Sports Institute (SSI) and Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) expertise and initiatives.
• Attend functions as and when required and relevant.
• Supporting Secretariat as and when required, including but not limited to SSRA tournaments and programmes.
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive, or exhaustive. It is intended to serve as a synopsis of the scope of work, and shall be amended accordingly, based upon the changing needs of the SSRA. Other duties commensurate with the level of the post shall be further determined by the SSRA, where applicable.
Qualifications and Requirements
Academic : Bachelor’s Degree preferred, minimum Diploma of any related discipline.
Technical : World Squash Federation (WSF) Level 2 Coaching certification.
Experience : 7 years relevant coaching and management experience at a high performance level.
You should have / be :
• Strong leadership skills in the development of coaches and players by projecting a positive and professional image.
• Highly organised and able to manage time and tasks effectively.
• Good interpersonal and management skills to motivate your coaches and athletes where relevant.
• Exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behaviour – integrity, punctuality, commitment, discipline and dedication.
• Strong communication skills; both spoken and written.
• Excellent writing skills in English and experience in producing high performance reports.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and generally IT-savvy.
• Good problem solving and management skills are essential.
• Willing to travel overseas with the team when required.
• Willing to work on weekends when required.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications and relevant experience
Interested applicants should send their cover letter, resume and expected salary to [email protected] by 30th Sept 2023. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.